Stay Safe Around Power Lines
You don’t want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when working near power lines. Contacting an energized line can seriously injure or kill you. Follow these safety rules to make sure you and those around you stay safe around power lines.
If you see a downed power line:
- Stay at least 10 metres away from downed power lines or damaged facilities.
- Notify us
- Keep everyone away from the area.
LOOK. LOCATE. LIVE.
- Ensure you plan your route and identify any potential hazards.
- If you need to work within 7 metres of an overhead power line, contact us so we can secure the site.
- Contact Utility Safety Partners to get your underground utilities located if you plan on digging.
Moving Tall Equipment
- Plan ahead. Know the height of your equipment, map your route, locate overhead power lines and be sure that you can cross safely under them. Exercise caution if the equipment is over 4.1 metres. Never measure line heights or raise lines yourself.
- Call us at 1-855-277-1670 if your equipment is taller than 5.3 metres. We’ll measure the power lines, help plan the safest route and lift the power lines, if needed.
If you contact a power line
Watch this short video about what to do if you contact a power line.
Break the contact if you can. Drive at least 10 metres away.
Stay put and keep others 10 metres back.
Call 911 for help.
If you must exit your equipment or vehicle, JUMP. Then shuffle or hop with your feet together. Don’t step!
Don’t touch the machine and the ground at the same time.